Item ref: 2683
Private collection, France
This fine gun from Ioannina or in the Ionian Islands incorporates an Italian lock. The northern Greek centre of Epirus became an important source of munitions for the Greeks during the Greek war of independence from Ottoman Turkey, and many of their products were decorated with the insignia of the Greek nationalists. Ioannina in Epirus together with the centre of Boka Kotorska in Montenegro were the most important manufacturing centres for arms.
The present gun compares to Wallace Collection no. OA2066, being of the same type and origin; another may be found in the Stefanis Foundation, Athens, no. 364, and another still in the Museo Poldi Pezzoli, Milan, no. 1035. Elgood suggests that this group were assembled and decorated on the Ionian Islands, and that the Italian term tromboni was used for them.