Item ref: 2973
Private collection, USA
Cartouches stamped with the maker’s name H. Hadleyand London, locks signed H. Hadley, mounts bearing themaker’s mark of Jeremiah Ashley and London hallmarks for 1761
Henry Hadley moved to the West End in 1745, and from 1755 – 1771 he occupied premises at Suffolk Street in the Strand. His outstanding skills earned him patronage at the highest levels: in the collection of HM The Queen at Windsor Castle, are two pairs of pistols by him bearing respectively the crests of the Prince of Wales and a Royal Duke, while in the Royal Armouries Museum, Leeds, is another pair bearing the arms of the Fourth Duke of Marlborough.